Sunday, May 6, 2012

2 Songs

Written on June 15, 2010

While I'm still sweating from today's walk in very humid Virginia, I will pause to write about a joy I have several times each week.  I work out at the gym and pool on M, W, and F.  On T, Th, and Sat., I walk the streets of Greenbriar, sometimes with Gail, sometimes with my I-pod.  When I walk alone, I always start and end with the same 2 songs, and they always bring me joy.  Here they are:  I leave the house with Helen Reddy, singing "I am Woman."  No, it's not the feminist message that brings me joy, but the confidence that I can accomplish hard things.  These last 2 years have been quite a journey for me. The piece I end my walks with is even better, "The Promise of Living," from The Tender Land by Aaron Copland.  The music is wonderful, but the words are even more so 

"The promise of living with faith and thanksgiving is born of our loving our friends and our labors."  

If I were clever enough, I'd post the music here for you.  (here you go mom!) I can't hear it too often.  I feel gratitude and rededication every time I hear it.  Yes, I feel joy every time, joy that life is rich for me and has the promise of lasting forever.


No comments:

Post a Comment